A dental crown is a tooth-shaped device that is used to cover a damaged tooth to restore its functioning and improve its appearance. Dental crowns are made of a number of materials including metal, ceramic mimic, and porcelain. The material used may vary in aesthetics, durability, and cost.
Why you may need a dental crown
A dental crown can provide the perfect solution if you have any of the following problems:
- Your tooth has a broken cusp – Large filings and accidents can all cause cusps to break. A broken cusp makes the tooth vulnerable to fractures and cracks and may cause serious damage to the tooth over time. To prevent this, a crown is used to cover the remaining cusps and take the direct bite pressure on their behalf.
- Your tooth had a root canal treatment – Root canals leave the repaired tooth hollow and easy to fracture or crack. Ask your dentist to fill your canal-treated tooth and crown it immediately.
- You have a cracked-tooth syndrome – Chewing can be difficult if one of your chewing teeth has an internal fracture.
- You want to improve your appearance – Tooth-colored crowns may be used to conceal misshapen disproportionate and discolored teeth.
- You have a missing tooth – A dental implant is made up of a post and a crown, which serve as the tooth root and tooth respectively.
- Your tooth has a large filling – Posterior teeth with large fillings are likely to crack or break when exposed to heavy bite pressure. A crown will ensure the tooth and the filling is encased tightly together and does not directly come into contact with the opposite tooth.
Get A Crown Treatment Today
If you have a dental imperfection that is causing you chewing problems or that you’re simply not happy about, consider having a crown placed on it. Call St-Therese Family Dentistry at 714-994-6911 if you are in Buena Park, and want to see a qualified dentist for a crown treatment.